- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After seeking treatment for “physical and emotional issues” last fall, tween star Demi Lovato will not return to her Disney Channel series Sonny with a Chance.
“I don’t think going back to Sonny would be healthy for my recovery,” she told People Magazine. “Being in front of a camera would make me nervous.”
When news of her treatment surfaced last fall, the series was on hiatus – a move that allowed Lovato to tour with Camp Rock co-stars The Jonas Brothers. Now, with Lovato’s exit, the young-skewing network will continue with the fictional sketch comedy show, So Random, that existed within Sonny.
The show’s writers have been in production on So Random since January, which had preserved over 75 jobs while they company waited on Lovato’s status. Random is set to premiere in June, and will feature a coterie of name guest stars and musical acts, including Greyson Chance, Selena Gomez and Colbie Caillat.
“We respect Demi’s decision to focus fulltime on her music and not immediately return to her acting career,” said a Disney Channel spokesperson in a statement. “She is a talented young woman and our hearts are with her as she continues to take action to improve her health and bounce back from adversity.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Queen of Basketball