- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The project, which Cornerstone is shopping to buyers in Berlin, flips the gender of the two lead characters, played in Susanne Bier’s 2006 original by Mads Mikkelsen and Rolf Lassgard. CAA is handling U.S. rights to the project.
Kruger will play Isabel, who runs an orphanage in the Indian city of Calcutta, a role originally played by Mikkelsen. In desperate need of money to keep the orphanage afloat, Isabel travels to New York to meet a potentially perfect benefactor, Theresa, played by Moore, the role Lassgard played in Bier’s version.
Joel Michaels and Silvio Muraglia will produce After the Wedding through Paradox Studios, which is also financing the film. Shooting is set to begin later this year.
Kruger is riding high after winning the best actress honor in Cannes last year for her performance in Fatih Akin’s terrorist drama In The Fade, which picked up a Golden Globe for best foreign-language film.
After the Wedding is her second big project making the rounds in Berlin. Kruger is also in talks to star alongside Eric Bana in spy thriller The Operative, which Bloom is selling at the EFM, with Endeavor Content handling U.S. sales. Kruger is repped by UTA and Untitled Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day