- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Diplo and his business partner Kevin Kusatsu will executive produce an EDM-based feature film for 20th Century Fox, a rep for the musician confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.
The movie will be written by Adam Weinstock and Andy Jones, and produced by Trevor Engelson. Noah Rothman will also executive produce.
The currently untitled film has been described as 8 Mile meets Project X, and follows three teenagers as they try to get into a Diplo show. Kusatsu told The Fader in an e-mail that the story is “like Eminem and Christopher Walken at a Manchester rave.” There’s no word on when the film would go into production at this point.
Diplo, who is currently touring with his group Major Lazer, previously directed a documentary feature about Rio’s funk carioca scene titled Favela on Blast, which was released on DVD in 2010. The producer, known for his work with Snoop Dogg and M.I.A., studied film at Temple University and told GQ last year that he would “love to take a year off to do strictly film work.”
Major Lazer’s second album, Free the Universe, will be released April 15 via Diplo’s label Mad Decent. A video for the album’s most recent single, “Watch Out for This (Bumaye),” will drop this week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day