- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Author Lawrence Wright is writing an expose about the Church of Scientology through the eyes of former Scientologist Paul Haggis.
Wright’s agent calls it “the most profound reckoning to date,” according to a literary catalog from the Wylie Agency posted on the website Gawker. Wright is a staff writer at the New Yorker.
The book will be written through the experiences of Haggis, who spent three decades as a Scientologist before publicly ditching the controversial religion in 2009.
It will be called The Heretic of Hollywood: Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology.
“Haggis was one of the church’s Hollywood trophies, along with Tom Cruise and John Travolta, whose paths cross with Haggis’s,” the book’s catalog listing states. “His resignation from the church in August of 2009 was a crushing disappointment to the organization.”
This would be the first time Haggis has spoken on the topic.
The book will focus on various alleged abuses taking place within the church and on the religion’s eccentric founder, L. Ron Hubbard, “whose flashes of brilliance and insanity are woven into the fabric of this elaborate belief system,” according to the catalog.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day