- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On the heels of the big opening of Disney’s Cinderella this past weekend, Disney has dated its live-action fairy-tale retelling Beauty and the Beast for March 17, 2017.
Emma Watson is starring as Belle while Dan Stevens will play the Prince/Beast. Luke Evans will play the role of Gaston. Emma Thompson has joined the cast as Mrs. Potts and Kevin Kline as Belle’s father, Maurice. Production on the project, which will include some CG magic, will kick off in May at Shepperton Studios in London.
Bill Condon is directing from a script by Stephen Chbosky with an earlier version by Evan Spiliotopoulos. Mandeville Films’ David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman are producing. Alan Menken, who won two Academy Awards for the 1991 animated classic, will score the film, which will feature new recordings of the original songs in addition to several new songs written by Menken and Sir Tim Rice.
Beauty and the Beast currently has the release date to itself.
Disney’s live-action Cinderella, starring Lily James, opened to $68 million domestically this past weekend. Elsewhere on the live-action remake front, Disney has a new version of The Jungle Book and the sequel to Alice in Wonderland in the pipeline.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day