- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In the latest example of a news outlet having a social-media account compromised, E! Online‘s official Twitter handle was apparently hacked on Saturday.
“E online’s breaking news twitter and sms accounts were compromised today,” said E! in a statement. “We’re working to have this resolved as quickly as possible and are fully investigating the incident. We apologize for any confusion that the erroneous news alerts may have caused.”
The @eonline account, which had 5.2 million followers, is currently listed as suspended. A screenshot taken of the account shows numerous false messages were posted before it was suspended.
Twitter accounts for CBS’ 60 Minutes and 48 Hours have also been hacked within the last month.
The most notable recent hack may be when the Associated Press account (@AP) sent out a fake story about a White House attack on April 23, temporarily affecting the stock market.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day