- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Mike Epps is starring as the comedian who pushed the boundaries of race and mined his own gritty experiences, becoming one of the most influential acts of all time.
See more Hollywood’s 100 Favorite Films
Pryor was raised by his grandmother, a hard woman who ran a brothel, and by his father, an alcoholic who beat him on the days his grandmother didn’t. Stories of both were frequently told as part of his routine.
Murphy will play the father, LeRoy Pryor.
Entertainment Tonight first reported the casting news. ET also reported that Kate Hudson was joining the production. Hudson’s representatives and TWC reps did not comment.
According to ET, Hudson would play Jennifer Lee Pryor, who was Pryor’s fourth wife (they married in 1981 and divorced in 1982) as well as his seventh; they remarried in 2001. Jennifer Lee Pryor is a producer on the movie along with Bruce Cohen.
On Thursday, Daniels posted a picture of himself with Murphy on Instagram. See the photo below.
A photo posted by Lee Daniels (@theoriginalbigdaddy) on
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day