- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fisher will star in The Shaggs, a musical feature that is based on the real-life story of the Wiggin sisters, three musically inept teenagers from new Hampshire who, in 1968, recorded one of the most infamous rock-and-roll albums of all time, Philosophy of the World.
Ken Kwapis, whose feature credits include The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and A Walk in the Woods, will direct from a screenplay by Joy Gregory. Inspired by a 1999 New Yorker article by Susan Orlean, Gregory had previously turned the story of The Shaggs into an off-Broadway stage musical.
Alex Beattie will produce under her and Kwapis’ In Cahoots banner, along with Grammy-nominated music supervisor Howard Paar and Seth Caplan of FYFM Creations, who is co-financing the picture. Orlean, Harris Fishman and Gary Nelson will exec produce.
Fisher, who will voice star in the upcoming Addams Family animated feature, is repped by Innovative Artists. Kwapis is a veteran TV director, launching shows like The Bernie Mac Show and The Office. He is repped by UTA, Code Entertainment and Hansen Jacobson.
Beattie is represented by UTA and Code Entertainment; Paar is represented by UTA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day