- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Elton John‘s longtime partner David Furnish says the couple are ready to walk down the aisle.
Furnish told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the duo, who have been in a British civil partnership for eight years, will wed in an English registry office in May. He added that the ceremony will be intimate, with their two kids — Elijah, 3, and Zachary, 16 months — in attendance, along with a few friends.
“We don’t feel the need to take an extra step legally,” Furnish said. “But since we’re committed for life, we feel it’s really important to take that step and take advantage of that amazing change in legislation. We all live by example.”
Furnish broke the news Friday at John’s 67th birthday party at Fizz Las Vegas at Caesars Palace, where John continues to perform regularly. The couple have been together for two decades.
Meanwhile, Friday also marked the first day gay couples can legally wed in England.
“We’re living in extraordinary times,” Furnish, 51, added. “My god, 20 years ago, when I started seeing Elton, if you asked me if I’d be able to get married, if I’d be able to have children, it was unthinkable, literally unimaginable.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day