- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ethan Hawke has joined the cast of Luc Besson’s sci-fi novel adaptation Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.
The director posted the news on Saturday via Instagram.
Besson noted in his post that he has wanted to work with Hawke for years. Hawke joins Clive Owen, Rihanna, Cara Delevingne and Dane DeHaan in the film. Besson previously announced the addition of Rihanna to the cast through his Instagram account as well.
The $180 million film is based on the 1967 novel by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mezieres. DeHaan will play the titular space- and time-traveling character, while Delevingne will play his red-haired companion.
Besson is writing and directing Valerian, which is expected to start production in January. Virginie Besson-Silla will produce on behalf of EuropaCorp, which is financing, producing and distributing the pic.
Valerian is set to hit theaters on July 21, 2017. Hawke, who is repped by CAA, MGMT Entertainment and attorney George Sheanshang, starred as jazz trumpeter Chet Baker in Born to Be Blue and will appear in the MGM remake of the Western classic The Magnificent Seven, which is slated for a Sept. 23 release.
See Besson’s Instagram post below.
A photo posted by @lucbesson on
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day