- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Oct. 3 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
That’s according to Melissa Rivers, who offered her blessing during Fashion Police: Celebrating Joan, E!’s Sept. 19 tribute to the late comic that lured a record 1.1 million viewers. Police will return for the Golden Globes on Jan. 12, giving the network three months to find someone to fill Rivers’ huge (actually size 6½) shoes.
An insider tells THR that a shortlist of replacements has been drawn up, with female and male comedians in the mix. One name in serious contention is Kathy Griffin — though the source dismisses a Page Six report claiming Griffin, 53, campaigned for the gig while Rivers was in a coma as “ridiculous.” No formal conversations have been held with anyone, however, as E! execs feel not enough time has passed since Rivers’ early September death and that Melissa — who will continue to serve as executive producer — should be involved. At this point, it’s anyone’s game. Billy Eichner, are you listening?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day