- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Technically, Europe loves The Favourite.
Yorgos Lanthimos’ period drama, which won star Olivia Colman the best actress Oscar earlier this year, picked up four of eight European Film Awards available in the technical categories, winning honors for best cinematography, costume design, editing, and hair and makeup.
The European Film Awards’ technical winners, announced Tuesday, included The Favourite cameraman Robbie Ryan, editor Yorgos Mavropsaridis, costume designer Sandy Powell and makeup artist Nadia Stacey.
Antxon Gómez won the European production design honor for his work on Pedro Almodovar’s Pain & Glory. John Gürtler took best European original score for his soundtrack to Nora Fingscheidt’s System Crasher. Roy Andersson’s team of special effects artists — Martin Ziebell, Sebastian Kaltmeyer, Néha Hirve, Jesper Brodersen and Torgeir Busch — won the visual effects honor for Andersson’s About Endlessness. The honor for best sound design went to the team behind Álvaro Brechner’s Uruguay-set drama A Twelve-Year Night: Eduardo Esquide, Nacho Royo-Villanova and Laurent Chassaigne.
The European Film Awards technical categories are traditionally announced ahead of the official award ceremony, which will be held in Berlin on Dec. 7.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day