- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Benedict Cumberbatch is going from playing Star Trek villain to taking on WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in the first trailer for The Fifth Estate. The drama from director Bill Condon also stars Daniel Bruhl as former WikiLeaks spokesperson Daniel Domscheit-Berg.
The trailer has the feel of a conspiracy thriller combined with the tech cred of 2010’s The Social Network, down to the rift growing between Assange and his right-hand man.
DreamWorks’ The Fifth Estate also stars Laura Linney, Anthony Mackie, David Thewlis, Peter Capaldi, Dan Stevens, Alicia Vikander and Carice van Houten. The film was recently well received by European exhibitors at CineEurope, though Assange has ripped the film, claiming he has read the screenplay.
Assange said in January the film was “a lie upon lie” and “a massive propaganda attack on WikiLeaks and the character of my staff.”
The film hits theaters Oct. 18.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day