- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
With news that Charlie Hunnam has exited Fifty Shades of Grey, producers are now scrambling to find his replacement.
PHOTOS: Top 10 Fan Favorites for the Cast of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
On Saturday, Universal Pictures said in a statement that the Sons of Anarchy star had bowed out due to scheduling issues.
“The filmmakers of Fifty Shades of Grey and Charlie Hunnam have agreed to find another male lead given Hunnam’s immersive TV schedule, which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey,” Universal said.
STORY: Outraged ‘Fifty Shades’ Fans Petition for New Stars
Two sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Hunnam, 33, was overwhelmed with the attention he received from being cast in the movie and got cold feet about carrying such a high-profile project. The movie was scheduled to go into production in Vancouver the first of November.
Among the names bandied about as potential stars before Hunnam was cast were Robert Pattinson, Henry Cavill, Ian Somerhalder and Matt Bomer.
STORY: ‘Fifty Shades’ Casting: Shailene Woodley and Other Surprise Names That Passed
Garrett Hedlund had an informal offer, but he turned down the role because he couldn’t wrap his head around the character.
Who do you think should play the billionaire Christian Grey? Take THR’s poll, or offer your own suggestions in the comments below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day