- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Imax plans to play Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend on 75 screens, as the giant-screen exhibitor moves beyond the Marvel action-movie crowd to embrace a wider audience at the multiplex, the company confirmed on Monday.
The newly inked deal was unveiled by Imax Entertainment CEO Greg Foster at the Stifel 2015 Technology, Internet & Media Conference.
“This morning, we decided to pick up 75 runs of Fifty Shades of Grey. We’re doing it literally at the last moment. We’ll be part of it and get some of the walk-up business,” Foster told the conference.
He said Imax is looking to program more varied movie fare during the shoulder periods of the year, when the major studios aren’t releasing as many tentpole titles. “We should be able to experiment and take chances and see what works and what doesn’t,” added Foster.
The highly anticipated silver-screen adaptation of E.L. James‘ best-selling erotic novel will hit theaters on Feb. 13.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day