- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. and New Line have put the first seven minutes of the upcoming martial arts fantasy film Mortal Kombat online.
Below is the film’s opening sequence, which features Hanzo Hasashi/Scorpion (Hiroyuki Sanada), whose family comes under attack from Bi-Han/Sub-Zero (Joe Taslim). (Warning: graphic violence).
The R-rated film from director Simon McQuoid and writers Greg Russo and Dave Callaham is based on the iconic video game franchise.
The film’s box office performance will doubtless be watched closely as it’s one of the first major post-pandemic studio releases and theaters are still in the process of reopening around the country. The film comes after the success of Godzilla vs. Kong, which has now racked up $390 million globally since its March 31 release. Mortal Kombat has already been released in some overseas markets, where it has made $19.2 million so far.
Mortal Kombat — or, more properly, Moooortallll Kombaaaat — will be released in the U.S. on Friday, as well as on the HBO Max streaming service.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day