- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Another 2015 awards hopeful is throwing its hat into the ring.
Focus Features announced Friday that it will release Suffragette, a drama about the early women’s movement starring Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan and Helena Bonham Carter, in exclusive engagements on Oct. 23, 2015, with an expansion to follow.
Focus is handling North American distribution of the period film, directed by Sarah Gavron from a script by Abi Morgan. The distributor has also picked up rights for Latin America, India, South Korea and most of Eastern Europe, including Russia, with Universal Pictures International managing the release in those foreign territories.
Mulligan plays a wife and mother who joins up with other women activists in the early 20th century to fight for women’s rights. The cast also includes Ben Wishaw, Anne-Marie Duff and Brendan Gleeson. Ruby Films’ Alison Owen and Faye Ward are producing, with Cameron McCracken, Tessa Ross, Rose Garnet, Nik Bower, James Schamus and Teresa Moneo serving as exec producers. Suffragette is a Ruby Films production for Focus, Pathe, Film4 and the BFI in association with Ingenious Media and with the participation of Canal+ and Cine-Cinema.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day