- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, based on the second entry in James Dashner‘s book series, will hit theaters Sept. 18, 2015.
Overseas, Maze Runner also impressed, taking in another $37.6 million for an early worldwide total of $81.5 million (the film began rolling out in several territories last weekend).
Maze Runner, grabbing an A- CinemaScore, cost $34 million to make the thriller. Dylan O’Brien (Teen Wolf) Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Kaya Scodelario and Will Poulter star.
The movie follows O’Brien’s character as he wakes up with no memory inside the center of a giant maze, an area known as The Glade, surrounded by other teen boys who likewise can’t remember anything. Threatening them all are vicious creatures known as Grievers. The boys look for a way out of the maze, but it isn’t until a mysterious girl arrives that they have a fighting chance.
Wes Ball directed from an adapted script by Noah Oppenheim.
Sept. 21, 9 a.m. An earlier version of this story had the incorrect release date. THR regrets the error.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day