- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Homegrown hits topped the French box office in 2014, with Serial (Bad) Weddings, Supercondriaque and Luc Besson‘s Lucy taking the top three spots.
While romantic comedy Supercondriaque, starring beloved local comedian Dany Boon, and Lucy, an English-language action adventure starring new Paris resident Scarlett Johansson (she married French journalist Romain Dauriac in October, shortly after the birth of their daughter), boasted more than five million admissions each, it was Weddings (Quest-ce que a fait au Bon Dieu) that dominated the box office.
France focuses on the number of admissions to determine the best box-office performers.
Read more Oscars: France Selects ‘Saint Laurent’ for Foreign-Language Category
The clash-of-cultures comedy Weddings filled more than 12 million seats throughout the summer, hanging out in the top 10 for more than 20 weeks following its April 16 release and bringing in upwards of $104.6 million at the French box office. The story of a Catholic family facing four daughters marrying disparate immigrant men was a surprise hit produced by TF1 for under $13 million, making it the biggest domestic box office success since 2011’s Intouchables.
Here are the top 10 box-office performers in France for 2014 (in number of admissions as of Dec. 18):
1. Serial (Bad) Weddings 12,237,274
2. Supercondriaque 5,230,493
3. Lucy 5,194,115
4. Dawn of Planet of the Apes 3,752,287
5. How to Train Your Dragon 2 3,366,761
6. X-Men: Days of Future Past 3,285,735
7. Rio 2 3,233,263
8. The Maze Runner 3,072,109
9. Samba 3,045,459
10. Hunger Games – Mockingjay: Part 1 2,862,478
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day