- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Underscoring the popularity of Frozen, Disney said Wednesday that it has sold 3.2 million units of the movie on Blu-ray and DVD on March 18, its first day of sales.
The company believes it will be one the biggest titles released in home entertainment in the last decade. Following its debut on digital HD and digital 3D on Feb. 25, it quickly became the fastest-selling digital release of all time, according to the studio.
Frozen also continues its dominance in the music world.
The soundtrack is back on top of the Billboard 200 chart for its sixth nonconsecutive week, selling more than 1.4 million units. It has also been streamed over 100 million times on Spotify.
The Oscar-winning song “Let It Go” has sold over 1.7 million copies and is No. 4 on Billboard’s digital songs chart, No. 5 on the iTunes singles chart and No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The film clip featuring the song has been viewed more than 147 million times on YouTube, the company reported.
Frozen has grossed more than $396 million domestically and $1.032 billion worldwide. Even as it debuted for home entertainment, the movie is still playing in 1,466 theaters and was No. 9 at the weekend box office.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day