- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“The reality is that women are discriminated against in the workplace for being mothers,” the Being Mary Jane star tells the magazine in its October issue. “As much as there are strides being made — you get pregnant, your career takes a hit. You can’t have a bad day. Don’t you dare cry at work. Don’t raise your voice. Especially if you’re a black woman in corporate America — now you’re ‘the angry black woman.’ ”
The 42-year-old — who says of trying to start a family with husband Dwyane Wade, “so far it has not happened for us” — adds that women are made to feel guilty for prioritizing their career over having kids.
“There’s a certain amount of shame that is placed on women who have perhaps chosen a career over starting a family younger,” she tells Redbook. “The penance for being a career woman is barrenness. You feel like you’re wearing a scarlet letter.”
Union is one of three women to grace the cover of Redbook‘s anti-aging issue, joining Erin Andrews and Maria Menounos. All three women talk about challenges they’ve faced in their career and starting a family.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day