- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Giuliana Rancic announced on Monday that she plans to undergo a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction after lumpectomies failed to completely rid her of her cancer.
The E! host appeared with her husband, Bill Rancic, on NBC’s Today on Monday. She said that they had decided to take a more aggressive approach to fighting the cancer by going for a double mastectomy rather than another lumpectomy and radiation.
“For me, it was important to get the cancer out,” she said. “That’s what I wanted to do, just get it out.”
When asked if the desire to have children was a factor, the couple said it did. If she had chosen to go with another lumpectomy and radiation, she would have to delay having a baby for several years. Rancic, 36, said it was part of the reason, but not the entire reason.
“At the end, to be honest, all it came down to was just choosing to live, and not looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life,” Rancic said.
Rancic first announced that she was battling breast cancer in October. She had a double lumpectomy on Tuesday, Oct. 18 – during which she also had lymph nodes removed for biopsy – and then returned back to work the following Monday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day