- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Although often out-shined by her cast-mates on the Fox hit Glee, Naya Rivera is surprising fans by being one of the first to announce a record deal with Columbia Records. Theresa Labarbera Whites, senior vp of A&R at the label, confirmed the news, noting that Rivera will begin working on her debut album after the Glee! Live! tour wraps in late June.
On the series, 24-year-old Rivera plays Santana Lopez, a malicious former cheerleader at McKinley High whose complex psyche blends aggression, sexuality and good old bitchiness. In season 2, Santana saw a bigger presence on the show as she struggled to reveal her lesbian identity.
On the show, Santana has sung everything from Amy Winehouse (“Valerie”) to Lady Gaga (“Bad Romance”) to Monica (“The Boy Is Mine”), but the musical style of her forthcoming debut remains vague. In the past, Rivera has cited Michael Jackson and Paula Abdul as heavy influences.
Sony Music-owned Columbia has first dibs on most Glee stars.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day