- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Netflix movie is based on J.D. Vance’s memoir Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, a modern exploration of the American dream and three generations of an Appalachian family as told by its youngest member.
J.D. must navigate the complex dynamics of his Appalachian family, including his volatile relationship with his mother Bev (Adams), who is struggling with addiction. Fueled by memories of his grandmother Mamaw (Close), the resilient and whip-smart woman who raised him, J.D. comes to realize that to achieve his dreams, he must embrace his roots.
The Shape of Water co-writer Vanessa Taylor adapted the book for the screen. Brian Grazer, Howard and Karen Lunder are producing for Imagine Entertainment. Julie Oh and Vance will executive produce.
Netflix is set to finance and distribute.
Close, who worked with Howard on 1994’s The Paper, was most recently seen in The Wife, which earned her a seventh Oscar nomination. She is repped by CAA, MGMT and Loeb & Loeb.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day