- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
LONDON – Global children’s charity Variety, set up by actors in the U.S. in 1927, is partnering with Lucasfilm Ltd. to create a special edition Gold Heart badge, featuring Star Wars characters C-3PO and R2-D2 in the U.K.
To celebrate the 21st year anniversary of the charity’s Gold Heart Appeal, the special edition badge aims to help to raise funds for children and young people who are sick, disabled and disadvantaged.
The collector’s item will be available from February 2012 for £1 ($1.58) at selected cinemas and retailers across the U.K., the charity said.
Variety’s Star Wars 2012 Gold Heart badge campaign coincides with 20th Century Fox’s 3D rollout of Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace in theaters here from Friday, Feb. 9, 2012. Variety’s Gold Heart Appeal has been the charity’s signature campaign in the U.K. and worldwide since 1991.
In recent years Variety has worked with major film companies, including Paramount, DreamWorks, and Warner Bros. to design a special edition badge.
Previous year’s have seen badges in the U.K. featuring Yogi Bear, Spiderman, Shrek alongside Donkey and Fiona and Mickey Mouse.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day