- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oprah gave a stirring speech on the #MeToo movement, Seth Meyers attempted to persuade Oprah to run for president, Tommy Wiseau tried to take the mic from James Franco (and was rebuffed), and Amy Sherman-Palladino asked for a cheese plate in an acceptance speech.
While the broadcast of the 75th annual Golden Globes offered plenty of memorable moments, viewers watching on the small screen didn’t catch everything that happened inside the Beverly Hilton ballroom on Sunday night.
Here are some of the major events that didn’t make it to air:
1.. Early in the ceremony, This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman spotted Tom Hanks delivering a tray of four martinis back to his table from the bar.
— Dan Fogelman (@Dan_Fogelman) January 8, 2018
2. When journalists asked showrunner Bruce Miller about the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale backstage, he joked, “It’s a comedy. It’s hilarious.” Later, he added, “Can we rest? We just finished season one.”
3. After she came back late from a trip to the bathroom, singer Mariah Carey quickly sat in an empty seat next to Steven Spielberg. When the seat’s owner, Meryl Streep, returned, Carey asked her to forgive her. “You can take my seat anytime!” Streep replied, according to Carey.
4. After accepting a best limited series award for Big Little Lies, Reese Witherspoon performed her Oprah impression for members of the press backstage. “You get a Golden Globe and you get a Golden Globe and you get a Golden Globe,” she said, shouting at reporters.
Backstage @MattDonnelly asked @RWitherspoon to return favor and do an impresssion of @Oprah and it’s really amazing: “You get a Golden Globe! And you get a Golden Globe! And YOU get a Golden Globe!” pic.twitter.com/0JJhrgcmxf
— Chris Gardner (@chrissgardner) January 8, 2018
5. Greta Gerwig apologized to her significant other, director Noah Baumbach, for forgetting to name him in her acceptance speech as soon as she returned to her seat after Lady Bird won the best film, comedy or musical, prize. “I blanked! I blanked so hard! I’m so sorry!” she told him as she hugged him.
6. On the red carpet, Sarah Jessica Parker grabbed a bottle of Moet Hennessy champagne before heading into the ceremony.
7. Streaming-entertainment leaders and competitors Ted Sarandos (Netflix) and Jeff Bezos (Amazon) took a moment to chat in the Beverly Hilton before the ceremony began.
8. After The Handmaid’s Tale won best drama series, the cast, including Elisabeth Moss, Samira Wiley and Alexis Bledel, strutted down the back hallway of the Beverly Hilton for pictures.
9. On the red carpet, Allison Janney said that she chose her gown because its designer, Mario Dice, promised to donate to the Time’s Up initiative.
10. Backstage, journalists in the press room had access to buckets of beer on ice.
Seth Meyers hosted the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards, which took place at the Beverly Hilton on Jan. 7.
Tune in after the telecast for The Hollywood Reporter and Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s official aftershow, live on Twitter.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day