- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Orange is the New Black star Natasha Lyonne‘s dark tips popped against her azure Reem Acra gown, and House of Cards‘ Kate Mara also got in on the all-black trend with a minimalist, short manicure that showed off her red, backless Miu Miu gown.
Jessica Chastain also sported the shade, which complemented her deep-plunging Versace gown. Celebrity manicurist Christina Aviles used Essie’s Licorice shade to create the look, topped off with a drop of the coppery Penny Talk in the top coat to play off the metallic effect of the bronze-black dress.
“[Jessica] was open to having something darker, which for her is not normal. She decided she wanted to have a bit of an edgier look,” says Aviles, who agrees that classic, crisp black nails are in this season. Her advice? Skip satin finishes. “You need to go a little shiny to make it look different, or go all the way matte.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day