- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Gremlins director Joe Dante said on Saturday that he will not be participating in a recently announced Gremlins reboot.
“I’ve seen what can happen when sequels actually work and you certainly can’t improve on the original, but you can have a different direction,” Columbus said. “So I was open to the idea and I think we have a good take on it.”
Dante was speaking at the Riviera Maya Film Festival this weekend after presenting his zom-com Burying the Ex, starring Anton Yelchin (Star Trek), Alexandra Daddario (True Detective) and Ashley Greene (Twilight).
During a news conference, Dante was asked if he would be involved in the Gremlins remake. “No, because I don’t own the project,” he said. “It’s owned by other people.”
Dante believes Hollywood studios are playing it far too conservatively nowadays, as evidenced by all the remakes.
“They remake pictures that people just didn’t want to see remade,” Dante said. “Did anybody really want to see another RoboCop?”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Portia de Rossi