- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
And in select theaters, Imax is offering a super-sized version of the New Line Cinema and MGM release at a higher frame rate in 3D, or HFR 3D.
That will see the first installment of The Hobbit franchise screen at 48 frames per second, or closer to what the human eye actually sees.
Jackson capturing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D marks the first use of the format in a major movie release, according to Imax.
And the Peter Jackson trilogy will be available in six formats, including the standard format and Imax 3D.
“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the ideal story and visual spectacle to be experienced in Imax 3D,” Greg Foster, chairman and president of Imax Filmed Entertainment, said in a statement Wednesday.
Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution for The Hobbit trilogy, with select international territories and all international TV distribution handled by MGM.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day