- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Directed by Scott Cooper, the Western is set in 1892 and stars Bale as Captain Joseph J. Blocker who, after stern resistance, reluctantly agrees to escort a dying Cheyenne war chief and his family back home to tribal lands. Making the harrowing and perilous journey from New Mexico to the grasslands of Montana, the former rivals encounter a young widow whose family was murdered on the plains. Together, they must join forces to overcome the punishing landscape, hostile Comanche and vicious outliers encountered along the way.
Wes Studi also stars as the escorted Chief Yellow Hawk, and Rosamund Pike plays the young widow they meet. Jesse Plemons, Ben Foster and Timothee Chalamet are also featured in the cast.
Cooper, who also directed Bale in the 2013 Western Out of the Furnace, produced the indie along with Ken Kao and John Lesher. He also rewrote the script first penned by the late Donald Stewart, who won an Oscar for co-writing the 1982 Jack Lemmon drama Missing.
The title will have its international premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. CAA is handling domestic sales.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day