- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Billy Magnussen plays one of the mortgage brokers with Max Greenfield,” said McKay. “He shows up for like two days, and he’s a young guy, so he’s partying down in New Orleans.”
Wanting to do his laundry, Magnussen headed to the film’s wardrobe truck. The washing machine’s latest cycle was over but the wet clothes still remained.
“He takes it all out, and it’s wet, so he just shoves it in the dryer,” McKay recounted. “And then he puts his clothes in the washing machine. What he doesn’t realize is, these are like $15,000 worth of wardrobe for Carell; these are like Brioni tailor-made.”
The mistake, unknown to Carell, came as a surprise the following day on set.
“And the next day I put on my shirt, and I was like, “I couldn’t have gotten this fat in one day,” Carell joked.
McKay did admit that Magnussen felt bad about the mishap.
Read the full Big Short interview here, and watch more roundtables on Close Up With The Hollywood Reporter this season on Sundance TV, beginning Sunday, Dec. 13, at 11 a.m. ET.
SundanceTV’s HD Channels (for National Providers):
AT&T U-verse 1798
Verizon FIOS 735
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day