- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Hunger Games, playing in more than 2,500 theaters, scored the best midnight gross ever for a nonsequel and the seventh-best midnight gross overall.
By comparison, The Dark Knight earned $17 million in midnight runs in 2008, and Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith did $17 million three years earlier. The past three Twilight films all grossed $26 million to $30 million in midnight runs, while Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the all-time leader at $43.5 million.
Toplined by Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, Hunger Games is based on the best-selling young-adult novel by Suzanne Collins. Interest in the film is massive, according to tracking, with some box-office observers believing Hunger Games could open north of $130 million domestically.
Hunger Games whipped up enormous presale business, breaking records for a nonsequel, according to online ticketing services Fandango and MovieTickets.
On Friday, Hunger Games moves into a total of 4,137 theaters, including Imax runs.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day