- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The show, which has booked the Richard Rodgers Theatre, will begin previews March 4, with opening night slated for March 27. Menzel will portray Elizabeth, a woman about to turn 40 who returns to New York City for a fresh start. “Set against the ever-shifting landscape of modern-day Manhattan, If/Then is a romantic and original new musical about how choice and chance collide and how we learn to love the fallout,” teases a release.
Ahead of its Broadway run, the production will stage a tryout at the National Theatre in Washington, running Nov. 5 through Dec. 8.
If/Then is produced by David Stone with music from Tom Kitt and book and lyrics by Brian Yorkey. Michael Greif will direct. Kitt and Yorkey received the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, as well as an armful of Tony Awards, for their musical Next to Normal. Greif directed that show as well as the original staging of Rent in which Menzel played the role of performance artist Maureen.
Menzel won a Tony in 2004 for her portrayal of Elphaba, Wicked Witch of the West, in the musical Wicked; she had also been nominated for Rent.
On Glee, the actress plays the birth mother of Lea Michele‘s character.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day