- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – After its recent globe-trotting in search of new markets, Imax has a deal for a couple more theaters in its own backyard.
The Toronto-based giant screen exhibitor has an agreement with Empire Theaters for a joint venture screen to go into its Empire Empress Walk 10-screen multiplex in north Toronto, which is slated to open in May.
And Empire, which already has four Imax screens in its Canadian circuit, has agreed to launch two additional large format screens in undisclosed locations.
The latest Canadian agreement also brings to 31 the number of Imax commercial theaters already open or contracted to open countrywide.
And it follows Imax hiring former Paramount Pictures International exec Andrew Cripps to increase its theater network in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and promoting Mark Welton to president, Imax Theaters, where he will oversee theater sales and operations worldwide.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day