- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Imax has pacted with Sony Pictures Entertainment to release The Equalizer in its giant screen theaters worldwide from September 26.
Imax will digitally remaster the Antoine Fuqua-directed drama, an adaptation of the 1980s TV series, that sees star Denzel Washington as a retired intelligence officer who is drawn back into a violent mafia-related world.
The September 26 wide release of the The Equalizer domestically will be up against Focus Features animated title The Boxtrolls and A24’s Laggies, which stars Keira Knightley.
Greg Foster, senior executive vp of Imax Corp. and CEO of Imax Entertainment, said the action-thriller was suited to Imax screens.
“We’re excited to be working with our longtime partners at Sony Pictures Entertainment to bring this exciting film to Imax moviegoers worldwide,” he added in a statement.
Imax gave no indication of the screen count for the eventual global release in September.
Chloe Grace Moretz also stars in the film, which was written by Richard Wenk (The Expendables 2).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day