- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Imax is entering the Swiss commercial market, via a theater deal with Pathe.
The agreement with Les Cinemas Gaumont et Pathe, the exhibition division of the European film production and distribution giant, will see Imax install a theater at the Pathe Balexert multiplex in Geneva.
The deal marks the first commercial Imax theater to open in Switzerland, although an institutional screen is in operation in Lucerne.
“As one of the preeminent exhibitors in Europe, Pathe is a strategic partner for our first commercial entry into Switzerland as well as in supporting our broader European expansion,” said Andrew Cripps, president of Imax EMEA in a statement Monday.
Pathe currently has five Imax theaters running in the Netherlands, and one more in backlog, and another five theaters open in France.
Pathe has 983 screens total, in all formats, across its circuit.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day