- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Viewers of Sunday’s broadcast of the NFL game between the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins were treated to the first trailer for 20th Century Fox’s Independence Day: Resurgence, the sequel to Will Smith’s 1996 flick.
The film takes place 20 years after the first extraterrestrial invasion fought by Smith and Jeff Goldblum. After the invention of a global defense system, a scene in the trailer shows Goldblum fearing that the new technology “won’t be enough.”
Although, there’s no sign of an appearance by Smith in the first trailer, Jessie Usher will star as Smith’s son in the sequel along with Liam Hemsworth and returning stars Goldblum, Judd Hirsch, Bill Pullman and Vivica A. Fox. Roland Emmerich is returning to direct the film.
Independence Day: Resurgence hits theaters on June 24, 2016.
— Independence Day (@IndependenceDay) December 13, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day