- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Dhoom 3 has become the highest-grossing film in Indian cinema history at $83.56 million (5 billion rupees) worldwide. It is the first Indian film ever to cross the $80 million mark.
Produced by veteran Bollywood banner Yash Raj Films, the third installment of the action franchise stars superstar Aamir Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Uday Chopra and Katrina Kaif. Dhoom 3 is directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, who co-wrote the script with producer and YRF topper Aditya Chopra.
According to YRF, since its Dec. 20 release, the film has collected $56.8 million (3.51 billion rupees) in India, while its overseas box office has crossed $25 million (1.5 billion rupees), setting a new record for the highest overseas gross ever for an Indian film.
3 Idiots (2008) held the Indian box office title for a few years, with an estimated $60 million gross, until Chennai Express edged past it in 2013 with an estimated $63 million.
YRF added that Dhoom 3 will soon expand into new territories, including Germany, Peru, Romania, Japan, Russia, East Europe and Turkey.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day