- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Insidious: Chapter 3 will land in theaters April 3, 2015, following the success of the first two films in the microbudgeted horror franchise.
Incoming Focus Features CEO Peter Schlessel is bringing the film with him from FilmDistrict, which teamed on the last installment with producer Jason Blum, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions and Entertainment One. This fall, Insidious: Chapter 2 grossed $148.9 million worldwide (FilmDistrict was the U.S. distributor).
Leigh Whannell, who wrote the first two films, is returning to write the threequel.
RELATED: ‘Insidious 2’ Headed for $40 Million-Plus Opening in Box Office Shocker
So far, the only other movie slotted to open April 3, 2015, is The Weinstein Co.’s sci-fi film Passengers, starring Keanu Reeves and Rachel McAdams.
Under Schlessel, who takes over Jan. 1, Focus is expected to rely more on genre fare. The industry veteran was named to the top post earlier this fall after the ouster of Focus co-founder and CEO James Schamus.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day