- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
With the second installment in the YA Divergent franchise slated to hit theaters in March, Lionsgate is putting things in place for the third film by signing on Insurgent director Robert Schwentke to return for Allegiant: Part 1.
Schwentke is currently on post on the second film, Insurgent, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Based on Veronica Roth‘s YA series about a society where people are grouped by certain values, Insurgent sees Woodley and James’ characters dealing with powerful threats from a corrupt society.
Insurgent hits theaters on March 20, 2015. Allegiant: Part 1 will follow a year later on March 18, 2016, and Part 2 will open on March 24, 2017. Lionsgate decided to split Roth’s final book into two films similarly to what was done for the adaptations of Twilight, Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Noah Oppenheim is writing the screenplay for Allegiant: Part 1.
Schwentke joined the franchise for Insurgent after Neil Burger, who directed the first film, did not sign on for the sequel. His previous films include RED and R.I.P.D. He’s repped by CAA, LBI Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day