- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Italy’s new year opened with a huge local comedy, Alessandro Siani’s Si Accettano Miracoli, taking in an $8.5 million opening. But Siani’s popular brand of humor about a fake miracle was not enough to keep Clint Eastwood at bay.
While American Sniper, starring Bradley Cooper as America’s deadliest sniper, debuted at the No. 2 spot last week, it moved up to No. 1 this week, taking in an impressive $7.5 million. Si Accettano fell to No. 2 with $5.98 million.
American Sniper premiere in Italy on Jan. 1, well ahead of its global rollout, and the strategy appears to have paid off big for Warner Bros. Italy. The film is already Eastwood’s best-performing film ever in the country, grossing $14.2 million in just 10 days.
Imports managed to push local films out from the top 10 list as Italy gets ready for awards season. Imitation Game rose to the No. 3 spot, bringing in $2.6 million. Big Hero 6 held strong at No. 4 with $1.4 million. And Big Eyes took the No. 5 position with $1.3 million.
Horrible Bosses 2 premiered at an unimpressive No. 9 spot with $977,000. And The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, managed to stay in the top 10 with $905,000.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day