- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jaycee Chan, 32, was arrested along with Taiwanese movie star Kai Ko Chen-tung in Beijing, according to reports, although it is still unclear when they were formally arrested. However, both actors are active on Chinese social media and have not updated their accounts since last Tuesday.
Their arrests follow that of Voice of China star Li Daimo in March, and the shock arrest of Gao Hu, a prominent actor who starred in Zhang Yimou‘s The Flowers of War, last week.
The clampdown on celebrity drug use has been ordered by the Chinese government, which has instituted a zero-tolerance approach to illegal substances. Those stars caught up in drug scandals have been turned into public examples and are facing threats to their future professional careers as state arts, film and culture bodies line up behind the government’s anti-drug policy.
This month, the Beijing Trade Association for Performances and 42 performing art agencies and groups signed a commitment promising that they will not hire any actors who are connected with drugs.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day