- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jaden and Willow Smith are just trying to “make society more efficient,” y’all.
At least, that’s what Hollywood’s most-eccentric brother-sister duo under the age of 20 is claiming in the new issue of Interview magazine. The soundbite-bait siblings chatted with Pharrell Williams for their cover story, covering topics including the merits and flaws of social media, their fashion approach and what it’s like to “have an awareness that’s slightly more awakened” than the average teen.
The accompanying spread, photographed by Steven Klein, sees the Smiths dressed in all-black, goth-meets-The Matrix clothing against a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape. Even in their heavy attire, the model children (Willow is an ambassador for Chanel, and Jaden fronts for Louis Vuitton) look like naturals in the shoot. Jaden showed his love for a particularly explosive image, posting it to Instagram with the caption, “Dear Humans, Your World Is Coming To An End.”
Here, five more tidbits we learned from the Smiths’ latest interview.
1. The Smiths are against impulse posting on social media.
Like many teens (and most adults, to be honest), Willow often finds herself mindlessly scrolling through social media. “Even for people like us who have an awareness that’s slightly more awakened, it still takes over your mind,” she says. “And you find yourself randomly going on your phone for no reason, randomly doing things. It becomes compulsive … I never want to do things impulsively that have no meaning or intent, especially on social media.”
2. Their sibling dynamic is pretty special.
Jaden and Willow consider their relationship to be a “yin-yang” style harmony — they don’t even fight. Well, not anymore. “We would get mad at each other when we were younger, but that stopped when were like, nine,” says Jaden.
3. Their “rambunctious” fashion habit began when they were young (well, younger).
Says Jaden, “Nobody knows that Willow and I were much, much cooler before. Like, before people were looking at the things that we were doing, we were so much more, like, method with fashion. We really went all the way. We went the extra mile on everything because there was no one looking at us. We’ve been through the roof, with ludicrous fashion ideas since we were extremely young.”
4. In ten years, Jaden wants to be “gone.”
More specifically, “in the mountains somewhere in a tent cooking a squirrel.”
5. The one question Jaden really wants the world to answer is: “Where is the love?”
You’re not alone, Jaden. The Black Eyed Peas have been looking since 2003.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day