- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jake Gyllenhaal’s training regimen for Southpaw is the subject of a new behind-the-scenes video, recently released by The Weinstein Company.
“I knew nothing about boxing when I started, really, and I knew that in order for me to pull it off in any way, I was just gonna have to learn how to do it — and when I set my mind to something, I just won’t stop until I do it,” says the actor, who worked out extensively alongside director Antoine Fuqua in order to star as fighter Billy “The Great” Hope. “That emotion and that sacrifice is what drove both of us.”
The video offers a glimpse at the demanding strength drills and sparring sessions that the two underwent twice a day, every day.
Fuqua added, “I would start to see him getting his own swagger, if you will, his own rhythm as a fighter. I was like, ‘Okay, I’m starting to see Billy Hope.’ “
Southpaw hits theaters July 24. Rachel McAdams, Rita Ora, Forest Whitaker, Naomie Harris and 50 Cent co-star.
Watch the video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day