- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
The Spectacular Now helmer James Ponsoldt is reuniting with A24 for an adaptation of I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution.
Ponsoldt will write, produce and direct the adaptation of the book by Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks (the latter of whom is an executive editor at Billboard), which follows the founding and first 10 years of the music TV network. The movie will be an immersive look at the net’s rise, and will weave the book’s testimonials into an account of a one-of-a-kind cultural moment.
A24 will produce alongside Eva Maria Daniels of VisionChaos Productions.
“As a child of the 1980s, MTV had a massive impact on me, and I’m so excited to again be working with my friends at A24 in exploring the storied early years of the groundbreaking channel,” said Ponsoldt, who previously worked with the indie on Spectacular Now and The End of the Tour.
Ponsoldt is repped by UTA, Brillstein Partners and Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz. The deal for the book was negotiated by ICM Partners on behalf of PJ Mark at Janklow & Nesbit Associates. Bethany Haynes at Sloss Eckhouse represented VisionChaos.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day