- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Janelle Monae stepped out in a black tulle sleeveless gown with bird brooches at the 2017 Oscars on Sunday.
Styled by Maeve Reilly, the singer and actress wore an Elie Saab Haute Couture gown, covered in lines of lace set with feathers, sequins, beads and crystal stones, and a jeweled Jennifer Behr crown.
The Moonlight and Hidden Figures star has said her black-and-white palette is a way to “pay homage to my working-class roots.” (Her mom was a janitor, her father a trash man and her stepfather a postal worker.)
Monae, who starred in Moonlight and Hidden Figures (both nominated for best picture), is among this evening’s presenters, along with Matt Damon, Faye Dunaway, Warren Beatty, Octavia Spencer, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek, Dev Patel, Taraji P. Henson and more.
The 89th Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, airs live on ABC at 5:30 p.m. PT/8:30 p.m. ET.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day