- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bringing in another $3.63 million and staying on top of the box-office rankings over the weekend, Big Hero 6 continued its strong run in Japan for Disney, taking its total in the country to $54.7 million (?6.4 billion) from half a million admissions since its Dec. 20 release.
Japanese anime, manga and merchandise phenomenon Yokai Watch also carried on its success, with Yo-Kai Watch the Movie: The Secret Is Created, Nyan! taking the second spot. Meanwhile, police TV drama spinoff ST Aka to Shirou no Sousa File (ST Red and White Investigation File) stayed in the third spot in Japan this weekend.
Ressha Sentai ToQger vs. Kyoryuger: The Movie, the latest theatrical release in the Power Rangers franchise, opened in fourth with $738,000 (?86.5 million) on Saturday and Sunday.
Farther down the chart, Liam Neeson-starrer Taken 3, released locally as 96 Hours/Requiem, dropped one spot from its low-key bow in fifth position to come in sixth.
Next weekend will see releases for Tim Burton‘s Big Eyes, Annie and vampire comedy mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day