- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
President Obama is getting a little bit of help from his friends.
Already relying on Hollywood to deliver bundles of cash for his re-election bid, the president will now be feted at an event in New York City by Jay-Z and Beyonce, two long-time supporters and pals of the Obama family. The event, to be held next Tuesday at the rapper’s upper crust 40/40 club, tickets will cost $40,000, and, according to the New York Post be limited to 100 guests.
The campaign, in keeping with its emphasis on grassroots fundraising, is also offering small donation donors a chance to win a trip to New York to attend the event.
Jay-Z and Beyonce have a long history with the Obamas; she sang at the president’s inauguration, as well as hosted a fundraising dinner for him in March. More recently, Obama sent a video message to Jay-Z’s music festival in Philadelphia.
The coupling of celebrities and grassroots donors has worked wonders for Obama; this summer, a contest to win a trip to a fundraiser hosted by George Clooney helped skyrocket the haul to around $15 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day