- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
He sat down with The Hollywood Reporter for a game of “First, Best, Last, Worst” and explained what drew him to the role of John O’Neill, the FBI’s leading expert on Al Qaeda before the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, and what fellow agent Ali Soufan had to say about his performance.
“When I was first approached about The Looming Tower, I was stunned because I had no idea this had happened. I was completely unaware of the story behind what led to 9/11,” he said. “I had no idea who John O’Neill, was and when I read it, it seemed like not only something that was going to be tricky to pull off as an actor but something you would want to be associated with having done.”
While Daniels didn’t get the chance to meet the late O’Neill, he did receive the best compliment from Soufan, O’Neill’s former partner.
“John O’Neill is no longer with us, but Ali knew him very, very well, and Ali saw the first couple episodes. He’s the number one critic because he knew John,” Daniels said. “He was very kind. He said some nice things, but he also gave me a pin from John O’Neill’s memorial and he said, ‘John would want you to have this.’ That meant a lot.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day