- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jem and the Holograms’ road to stardom gets a little weird in the latest trailer for the film.
The first trailer for Jem and the Holograms was grounded with handheld cameras documenting the rise of musician Jerrica Benton (Aubrey Peeples), who uses the alias Jem to hide her true identity. Universal Pictures’ second trailer gets a little bit more sci-fi, introducing Jem’s robotic companion, Synergy.
The droid resembles Star Wars’ ball droid BB-8, with a personality akin to the alien robot Echo from the family film Earth to Echo. The futuristic, albeit janky, projector will keep the superstar grounded by reminding her of the importance of family and of who Jem really is.
In the cartoon, Synergy was a synthesizer-computer hybrid, also built by Jerrica’s father. It was responsible for concealing Jerrica’s identify by projecting the holographic persona of Jem onto her, and it also created the other bandmates‘ costumes.
Jem and the Holograms has a release date of Oct. 23. Check out the trailer below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day